— August 31, 2017
Peter and I wanted to express our concerns for all the victims of Hurricane Harvey and know that many of you are concerned as well. Nicholas and Company is working with Kelle’s Transport Service and sending trailers loaded with relief supplies, including Nicholas and Company products, to help those suffering in the aftermath of the hurricane.
In addition, Peter and I have made a personal contribution and we would ask that any of our team members and customers who would like to donate to direct your donations to reliable charitable sources. Charities that most deserve your donations at this time are those that actually are in a position to help on the ground. They include:
- The American Red Cross. They will accept donations on their website. You can also text HARVEY to 90999 to donate $10.
- AmeriCares takes medicine and supplies to survivors.
- Catholic Charities provides food, clothing, shelter and support services to those from all religious backgrounds.
You may text CCUSADISASTER to 71777 or visit https://catholiccharitiesusa.org/
- Direct Relief is shipping medicine and medical supplies to Texas and has made its entire medical inventory of more than $100 million available for the Harvey relief effort.
- International Orthodox Christian Charities serving more than 60 or more countries with rapid response to emergencies for 25 years. Donations may be sent to https://www.support.iocc.org
- Team Rubicon, which brings together the skills and experiences of military veterans with first responders to deploy emergency response teams.
- The Humane Society is working to save animals caught in the hurricane’s path.
- Donations to the Salvation Army can be made online, by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769) or texting STORM to 51555.
- Save the Children is delivering baby supplies, including cribs and strollers, and setting up child-friendly spaces in shelters.
- AABB, which coordinates a task force to manage blood collection efforts during disasters, put out a call on Sunday for blood donations in the aftermath of Harvey.
Most in demand: those with type O-positive blood.
Those interested in donating blood may contact the following organizations:
• AABB: 301-907-6977• America’s Blood Centers
• American Red Cross: 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767)
• Armed Services Blood Program: 703-681-5979