The new “Smart Snacks in Schools” rule is a science-based nutritional standard for snack foods and beverages sold to students in schools, outside of the traditional breakfast and lunch programs. This affects a la carte options, vending machines, fund-raisers and award programs. All school departments must be in compliance with these regulations, including athletic departments, student stores, and teachers. Food sold on school property from midnight to 30 minutes after school ends needs to meet the following general standards:
Snack foods must meet ONE of the following criteria
- Rich in whole grains
- First ingredient must be a fruit, vegetable, dairy product, or protein
- A “combination food” with at least ¼ cup fruit and/or vegetable
Snack foods must meet ALL of the following criteria
- Less than 200mg of sodium
- Total fat less than 35% of calories, saturated fat less than 10% of calories, and zero trans fat.
- Less than 200 calories
- Less than 35% of weight from sugar
Nicholas and Company has several different snack foods that meet these standards, including but not limited to – whole grain chocolate chip cookies, maple brown sugar ready-bake bars, oven-baked Cheetos, popped crisps, and more! If you have any questions or need additional ideas for healthy school snacking, contact a Nicholas and Company sales representative today!