Plant-Based Banh Mi Sliders are a deceptively simple appetizer that packs a flavorful punch. A modern update to the traditional Vietnamese street food, these are great as a shareable appetizers for a large party, or as a delicious dinner served with fries or a salad.
Plant Based Banh Mi Sliders
- For the Pickled Vegetables
For the Sliders
- 2 large carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 medium daikon radish, peeled and julienned
- 4 tablespoons plus 3 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup warm water
Crusty French Bread Rolls or store-bought crusty rolls
- 2 pounds Before the Butcher Pulled Pork
- 5 tablespoons sriracha, divided
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons neutral, heat-tolerant vegetable oil, for brushing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 medium English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 medium jalapeños, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 12 thin slices ham
- To make the pickled vegetables, in a large bowl, toss together carrots, daikon, 3 teaspoons sugar, and salt. Let sit 5 minutes to release their natural water, soften, and lose some of their volume. Drain in a colander and press down a bit to release any excess liquid. Return to the bowl and combine with the remaining 4 tablespoons sugar, vinegar, and water. The vegetables should be completely covered with vinegar mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside until ready to use.
- To make the sliders, in a large bowl, using your hands, mix together the ground pork, 3 tablespoons sriracha, fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar until evenly combined. Shape into 12 even 2-inch wide patties and place on baking sheet. Brush both sides with oil and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile swirl remaining 2 tablespoons sriracha into 1/2 cup mayo. Set in fridge to chill.
- Heat an outdoor grill or stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill sliders 4 minutes, flip, and continue to cook until an instant read thermometer reads 145 degrees F, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large platter or baking sheet and rest 5 minutes.
- To assemble sliders, cut rolls in half and spread sriracha mayo on each half. Add a pork slider to the bottom half of each roll, followed by a handful of pickled vegetables, a few slices cucumber, jalapeño, and cilantro. Divide the ham evenly among sliders and then replace top half of the rolls. Skewer with a long toothpick to hold in place, and serve immediately.