Hot Chocolate French Toast
- 1 cup canned coconut milk may swap 2% or whole milk
- 2-4 tablespoons of [your favorite hot cocoa mix | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/homemade-holiday-gifts-easy-double-chocolate-vanilla-bean-hot-cocoa-mugs-marshmallows/]
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter (may swap coconut oil but I do think butter works just a tad better)
- 8 slices rather thick of [challah bread | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/simple-whole-wheat-challah-bread/] or whatever your favorite french toast bread is!
Hot Cocoa Ganache
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk may sub heavy cream
- 9 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- 2 teaspoons instant expresso powder
- [coconut whipped cream | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/toasted-coconut-cream-rum-chocolate-mousse-crepe-cake/] or regular whipped cream
- [marshmallows | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/homemade-holiday-gifts-easy-double-chocolate-vanilla-bean-hot-cocoa-mugs-marshmallows/] homemade are best!
- toasted coconut
- To make the ganache. In a microwave safe bowl add the cream, coconut oil and chocolate. Microwave on 30 second intervals, stirring after each until smooth. Stir in the instant coffee until dissolved and smooth. Place this in the freezer for 15 minutes or the fridge for 30 minutes, but no longer. You want the ganache to be spreadable or to be able to drizzle it.
- To make the french toast. In a glass measuring cup or medium size microwave safe bowl add 1 cup of coconut milk. Microwave the milk for 2-3 minutes (depending on how powerful your microwave is) or until the coconut milk is hot. Stir in 3-4 tablespoons of [hot cocoa mix | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/homemade-holiday-gifts-easy-double-chocolate-vanilla-bean-hot-cocoa-mugs-marshmallows/]. Let cool 5 minutes.
- In the meantime grab a 9×13 inch pan and whisk together the eggs, vanilla, coconut extract (if using) and salt. Whisk in the hot chocolate.
- Grab your ganache from the freezer (or fridge) and use a spoon to carefully spread the ganache over one side of all the slices of bread (You will not use all the ganache). Sandwich the slices together to make four sandwiches. Place the sandwiches in the hot cocoa egg mixture, cover the pan and place in the fridge for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes flip the sandwiches over so the other side of the sandwich is now in the egg mixture. Place back in the fridge for 15 minutes or let it sit overnight.
- When ready to cook the french toast. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat and coat generously with butter. When the skillet is hot, cook the french toast in batches (do not overcrowd) until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove and serve immediately with coconut whipped cream, marshmallows (you should toast them!!), toasted coconut and a good drizzle of more ganache. DEVOUR!
For more information, visit https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/best-ever-hot-chocolate-french-toast/#more-11506
Go Back to All Recipes